Stuart Liddell: Inveroran
Stuart's debut CD was named 'Album of the Year' for 2007 by the influential website, Pipes Drums
Stuart brings considerable wit and imagination, both in his playing, and in his personal outlook on life. His repertoire is wide-ranging, from the classics of the piobaireachd repertoire to thoroughly modern compositions and brilliant new tune arrangements. He is a joy to listen to, and this recording captures him in full flight, both in the studio, and in the intimate surroundings of Breakish Village Hall in Skye, where he played to a small and very appreciative audience in February 2006.
Stuart Liddell of Inveraray recently received a double accolade in the New Year awards made by the prestigious periodical “Pipes/Drums”. Stuart’s debut CD Inveroran was named as ‘Solo Piping CD of 2007’ by Piper and Drummer, describing it as “a well-reviewed and popularly brilliant disc”. “Pipes/Drums” also named him as ‘Piper of the Year’.
Among the achievements of 2007 which helped Stuart win this title, were winning the coveted Clasp at the Northern Meetings, the Glasgow Knockout competitions and the Lord Todd Challenge. He also competes with Simon Fraser University Pipe Band, which is one of the World’s finest and he still finds time to lead his own Inveraray & District Pipe Band to a sweep of the RSPBA majors in the Novice Juvenile grade.
Stuart Liddell, was brought up in Inveroran near Bridge of Orchy but is now based in Inveraray, Argyll, where he works as a piano tuner and pipe music instructor. Piping is in the blood. His grandfather was the late Pipe Major Ronnie McCallum MBE, piper to the Duke of Argyll, and it was from Ronnie that Stuart had his first lessons, at the age of nine, building the foundations of solid technique and sound repertoire which have become a hallmark of his playing. Another early influence was Arthur Gillies from Kilchrennan, a masterly interpreter of both light music and pìobaireachd, and more recently he has had tuition from Jim Henderson and Hugh MacCallum.
Stuart Liddell: Inveroran
Ceòl pìoba aig fìor àrd ìre
- Centenary Jewel, 71st Highlanders [3.44]
- Inspector Donald Campbell of Ness, Old Woman's Dance, Atholl Highlanders, Cameronian Rant [5.05]
- Mairi Bhan Og, Miniscus, Michael Grey [4.30]
- Dundee City Police Pipe Band, Braemar Gathering [3.20]
- Lament for the Dead [11.32]
- A Mhoire Mhin-gheal, Fagail Bharraidh, Tom an t-searraich, Break your bass drone, Harris Dance, MacFadden's Reel, Alasdair Fraser's Welcome to Cape Breton, Sheepwife [5.25]
- Susan MacLeod, John Roy Stewart, Thomson's Dirk. Willie Murray's Reel [3.53]
- Abercairney Highlanders, Lady Loudon, Smith of Chilliechassie [4.28]
- Troy's Wedding, Viennese Waltz [3.49]
- Murdo's Wedding, Flett from Flotta, Loch Ruan, Battle of Waterloo [3.18]
- The Blue Cloud. Mason's Apron [4.18]