Blair Douglas: The Flyer
Brand new 2019 release from Skye-based tunesmith, founder member of Runrig, Blair Douglas.
A new collecton of tunes from Skye's maestro, Blair Douglas, all self-written and adding to his vast collection of compositions.
NOTES ON DOWNLOADS
- Individual tracks are downloadable as high quality mp3 files
- Whole album downloads come as ZIP files with the album artwork and PDF booklet bundled
- Our downloads don't work like iTunes, so tracks or albums should be downloaded to a PC or Mac desktop/laptop and transferred to devices such as phones and tablets
- Tracks and whole albums cannot be downloaded directly to portable devices incapable of unzipping compressed file
As would be said in Gaelic, Blair Douglas 'did not need to buy' his musical ability, he inherited it from both sides of his family. But genetics alone cannot explain this rare talent. What Blair has done over the years to hone and perfect his talents through good times and not-so-good times by dint of sheer hard and often thankless work. His musical expertise is a distillation of the tuition he received and the influences to which he was exposed, the years of playing and composing, and his recording and producing experience.
Blair was born and brought up in Skye. On his mother's side he has strong connections with North Uist while his father's people had moved to Skye from the Border country around 150 years ago.
Blair was inspired to buy an accordion after hearing the playing of the late, lamented Niall Cheòis of Lewis. In 1973, having quickly mastered the instrument he teamed up with Calum and Rory MacDonald, fellow Skyemen with North Uist connections. Together they formed the Run Rig Dance Band, later to become Run Rig, with whom he played for several years.
His first solo album, Celtology, came out in 1984. Subsequent CDs - Beneath the Beret, A Summer in Skye, Angels from the Ashes and Stay Strong are all remarkable not only because of their quality but also because the material featured is Blair's own. These CDs are now classics and speak eloquently of Blair's huge musical talents.
Blair Douglas' youtube sample
Blair Douglas: The Flyer
Clàr ùr bho 2019 le cruinneachadh de phuirt ùr bho Bhlair Dùghlas, ball de Runrig nuair a chaidh an còmhlan a stèidheachadh.
Cruinneachadh ùr bhon neach-ciùil iomraiteach, Sgitheanach, a' cur ris a stòras de phuirt.
Chan e a cheannach a rinn e. Bha luchd-ciùil ealanta air taobh athair agus air taobh a mhathair. Thogadh Blàr ‘san Eilean Sgitheanach agus ann an Glaschu agus tha air cliù a chosnadh dha fhèin mar fhear-ciùil. Tha e air coig clàran a dhèanamh agus tha an leabhar-ciùil ùr aige an impis nochdadh.
Faic bhidio shampall air youtube
- The Flyer[3:18]
- The Mira River Waltz[3:30]
- Tears on Tràigh Mhòr[3:20]
- Leaving Church Bay[3:19]
- From Braes to the Bayou[3:38]
- The Fiddler’s Farewell[3:38]
- The Weicker Man[3:31]
- The Rose that Never Fades[3:34]
- Cèilidh Dance Set[4:44]
- An Angel Weeps Tonight[3:48]
- The Great Glen Breakdown[3:11]
- Lament for the Band of Brothers[3:31]